[Türkçe çeviri için yorum bölümüne bkz.]
To Nalan who makes me a better man.
An emblem is a manifest of intent and a declaration of origin. It declares what our labors are at the Scola Hermetica and points at the origin of the teaching we share. With this emblem, we can access information about our methodology and the tools we use. Initiation is a multi-layered process, where everything happens at the same time, but we need to digest its sequences on a progressive basis. In our work, we are binding our body, soul and mind together. Only an experienced person can manifest the 3 bodies in the clear unity that defines ‘being-presence’. We struggle most of the time because one body’s will and needs overwhelms the others! The mastery of life is about how well we bind and coordinate the 3 bodies. The quality of this binding determines how this ‘presence’, or its absence, affects everything around us in a positive or negative way. Through the careful stages of the hermetic process, we discover ourselves in-deep, in all our parts’s scatteredness. We witness how this ‘multiplicity’ may find, or not, a working synergy, a blessed unity fulfilling one’s blue print. For this ‘labor of love’, as it takes a lot of love to accept to see one’s self ‘as is’ and not as we wish, we use some tools we trust transmitted to us by a long lineage of teachers from specific hermetic traditions. With the emblem, we can learn about what traditions and their ‘specifics’ we are the grateful heirs at the Scola Hermetica.
1. The violet circle, points at the finite and infinite worlds, scope of our practical hermetic studies. The outer and inner worlds we live in. Our work is a journey within, introspective, as we cannot know the world, if we do not know ourselves. Here, the archetype of the Hermit arcana-VIIII and its attributes shows us the methodology to use. It also hints at the Ouroboros snake, as the end of the journey is actually ‘going home’…
2. The enneagram we use is slightly different from the one Mr. Gurdjieff and his students use-Which consists of the outer circle, the six points path-work lines, and the upper looking triangle. At the Scola Hermetica, we use the outer circle, the six point path-work-lines, but the upper triangle becomes of a yellow color, symbolizing Rightful Will and Reason. We also use the triangle’s numbers, 9_6_3. Here the specificity of our tradition adds a descending triangle of deep blue color, symbolizing Rightful Imagination. To this triangle, we attach the 3 virtues, Love_Hope_Faith. Love being on the upper left side of the triangle, Hope being on the upper right side of the triangle and faith being at the bottom. The enneagram helps us to ‘negotiate’ the level of the hexagram (antinomic level) to its resolution by the pentagram. This is the simple and practical mystery of the transformative path of Faith, which is ‘sustainable practical understanding in action’.
3. The green circle represents ‘Grace’, as in our work, we need to be weary of ‘following recipes only’ manners that focuses on the ‘hard’, tangible aspects, without any care of the ‘soft’, intangible aspects of our work. This is sadly a very common trend in our world, responsible for many to feel stuck and overwhelmed in ways detrimental to their well-being. With ‘Grace’, we experience, the letting go, the ‘acting-non acting’ that fosters the inter-action between the ‘hard’ and soft’ skills that are challenged towards a synergic creative tension. Very early, we discover the practicability of the ‘evocation’ of our defects, our qualities and their blending into our personal virtue. ‘Grace’ is a central point of reference in this very thorough practice of ours, reminding us to go constantly to our Heart and ‘FEEL’ the work and not ‘mind’, ‘emotionalize’ or ‘sense’ only. The body senses, even though most of the people do not properly use their senses to their outmost possibilities. The soul ‘emotionalizes’. It doesn’t feel, as we wrongly say in our common day exchanges, ‘ I feel’ this or that. It is using the wrong word to hide what does the soul do best, taste emotions. The mind ‘minds’, but most of the time it is only the chaotic stream of our fantasies, alien to our rightful imagination. FEELINGS are the door of the inner senses. This is what the purpose of our work is, to help our inner senses to blossom in harmony with our physical and nervous outer senses. ‘Grace’ is the door of our inner work.
4. The snake and the Tau, represents the aspects of our work that is about our creative and ‘devoted’ attitude towards Life and our ability to go beyond personal development, so to join the community of free and sustainable individuals that labors to help humanity and its many diverse, colorful communities. It is about accepting to serve in an ‘impersonal’ way, though expressing the full range of our skills. It is about the ‘sacrifice of the egos’, by gently showing them that there is something bigger than them and their appetites and needs. There is a bigger picture and they can be part of it. This is the heart of the meeting point in our work between ‘hard’ and soft’ skills, a decisive aspect many ‘miss’, from short or far. It is a threshold not so many are blessed to go through. This is why the Snake and the Tau are placed in our emblem inside the ‘Grace’ point, the realm of the Heart.
5. The 2 white lotus, represents the couple and its importance in the transmission of the hermetic process, expressing many subtle aspects of our journey towards personal and collective balance. The White Lotus also represents for us at the Scola Hermetica the original human science, complete and self-adapting, that serves humanity in its needs throughout the ages. It is a non-magical current that experiences reality, ‘AS IS’ , like Mr. Gurdjieff used to says: ‘When it rains, the streets get wet’.