[Türkçe çeviri için yorum bölümüne bkz.]
- He whose adversaries fight with weapons of steel, must himself be armed in like manner, if he would not be ignominiously slain or save himself by flight.
- And not only so, but forasmuch as his adversaries may be many, while he is only one; it is even necessary that the steel he carries be of purer temper and of more subtle point and contrivance than theirs.
- I, Hermes, would arm you with such, that bearing a blade with a double-edge, ye may be able to withstand in the evil hour.
- For it is written that the tree of life is guarded by a sword which turneth every way.
- Therefore I would have you armed both with a perfect philosophy and with the power of the divine life.
- And first the knowledge; that you and they who hear you may know the reason of the faith which is in you.
- But knowledge cannot prevail alone, and ye are not yet perfected.
- When the fullness of the time shall come, I will add unto you the power of the divine life.
- It is the life of contemplation, of fasting, of obedience, and of resistance.
- And afterwards, the chrism, the power, and the glory. But these are not yet.
- Meanwhile, remain together and perfect your philosophy.
- Boast not, and be not lifted up; for all things are God’s, and ye are in God, and God in you.
- But when the word shall come to you, be ready to obey.
- There is but one way to power, and it is the way of obedience.
- Call no man your master or king upon the earth, lest ye forsake the spirit for the form and become idolaters.
- He who is indeed spiritual, and transformed into the divine image, desires a spiritual king.
- Purify your bodies, and eat no dead things that has looked with living eyes upon the light of Heaven.
- For the eye is the symbol of brotherhood among you. Sight is the mystical sense.
- Let no man take the life of his brother to feed withal his own.
- They are miserably deceived who expect eternal life, and restrain not their hands from blood and death.
- They are miserably deceived who look for wives from on high, and have not yet attained their manhood.
- Despise not the gift of knowledge; and make not spiritual eunuchs of yourselves.
- For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
- Ye are twain, the man with the woman, and she with him, neither man nor woman, but one creature.
- And the kingdom of God is within you.
From Anna Kingsford‘s
‘Clothed with the Sun’,